When you go to see your doctor, you expect that the advice and treatment you get will help you get well or stay well. We just don’t go to the doctor and expect that we’ll get hurt because of the negligent behavior of our doctor, nurse, or other medical staff. Most medical professionals, regardless of whether they’re a doctor, nurse, or other medical industry worker, do everything they can to help patients get better. Yet, medical errors account for 1/3 of deaths in the United States. Only cancer and heart disease kill more patients. If you or someone you love was the victim of medical malpractice, call a Fort Worth medical malpractice lawyer at Thompson Law now to discuss your potential case. The call and the consultation are free: 1-800-LION-LAW.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is, at the basic level, what it sounds like. A healthcare provider doesn’t provide treatment that meets the accepted standard of care within the medical industry. That behavior places the patient at risk of serious injury, infection, or death. In short, it’s a form of negligence. The most common consideration that must be addressed by a Fort Worth medical malpractice lawyer is whether the medical professional in question failed to act in a way that others with similar training would have acted and would changing their actions have prevented or lessened the injury, infection, or risk of death for the patient.
What Are Some Examples of Medical Malpractice?
Remember that medical malpractice isn’t just something that happens because of a doctor. It can happen as a result of anyone in the medical setting who has contact with the patient failing to follow standard practices. Some examples of medical malpractice include:
- Errors from the anesthesia process. These errors can cause serious or deadly complications. The most common anesthesia error happens when a patient wakes during surgery and can see or feel what’s happening.
- Administering incorrect drugs. This can happen during anesthesia or during treatment. Prescription medications can interact with each other, over the counter medications, and even herbal supplements. It’s important for you to make sure that the medical team has a list of everything you take. Another common medical malpractice example that happens with medication is giving a patient a drug to which they are allergic.
- Failing to monitor vital signs. Vital signs play an important role in a hospital stay or even a visit to the doctor’s office. For expectant mothers, vital signs paint a picture of what’s going on with both the mother and the child.
- Errors in the emergency room. Emergency rooms are busy places, but the staff must still follow standard procedures to care for patients. Misreading charts and test results can cause serious or deadly consequences for patients. Failure to diagnose heart problems can also lead to permanent devastation for the patient in their family.
- Misdiagnosis. Misdiagnosis or delaying a diagnosis can cause life-changing injuries and even death. The most frequently misdiagnosed or undiagnosed conditions often related to medical malpractice include blood clots, brain and stomach aneurysms, appendicitis, strokes, and pulmonary embolisms.
- Not recognizing or treating a postoperative infection. Postoperative infections can cause the need for more surgery, amputation, aggressive spreading throughout the body, and even death. It’s imperative that medical professionals recognize and treat a postoperative infection for the safety of the patient.
How Can A Forth Worth Medical Malpractice Lawyer Help You?
Medical malpractice claims must satisfy specific elements. They can be quite complicated. Sometimes they can even be hard to prove. A Forth Worth medical malpractice lawyer has a deep understanding of the elements associated with medical malpractice. They also know how to read and assess a complex medical record. The right lawyer can deal with the doctor, hospital, or other negligent party on your behalf while also advising you on your options and collecting the right evidence.
Thompson Law’s Fort Worth medical malpractice lawyers provide free consultations for injured patients and their families. To learn more about how our experienced team of lawyers may be able to help you, call us right now at 1-800-LION-LAW.