The Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers at Thompson Law know that pedestrians are at grave risk of catastrophic or life changing injuries because they do not have the protections afforded by a vehicle. For example, a passenger or driver inside a car has the benefit of seat belts, air bags and other technology that can help to prevent or minimize injuries in the event of a car accident.
A pedestrian, on the other hand, has no shield from the elements or from a car and an unsuspecting pedestrian can easily be thrown many feet into oncoming traffic or into stationary objects. It’s critical that anyone who has been involved in a pedestrian accident gets legal help from a knowledgeable pedestrian accident lawyer as soon as possible. The true depth of your injuries may not be readily apparent at the scene of the accident. You may be knocked unconscious or be unclear about the severity of internal injuries such as damage to your organs or a traumatic brain injury.
Only a physician can help you to identify the serious problems after the fact. It is also possible that some of your most serious symptoms, like whiplash or a spinal cord injury, might not be noticeable to the naked eye right after the accident occurs.
You may discover during these hours, days or even weeks after the accident has happened, and the cost of accident medical bills can be extensive. This is to say nothing of the serious impact that recuperating from an accident can have on your life: having to attend your medical treatments, going through surgeries, taking pain medication and other aspects of handling your injuries such as physical therapy. That is why you need our experienced Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers on your side.
Call our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers today for a FREE CONSULTATION. We charge NO FEE unless we are able to obtain a settlement for your pedestrian accident injuries.
Unfortunately, far too many accidents across the United States involve pedestrians. In 2020, the CDC noted over 7,000 pedestrian accident fatalities – roughly one death every 75 minutes. In 2019, there were 662 pedestrian fatalities in Dallas, TX. This number increased to 715 in 2020, and 824 in 2021.
Most of these accidents (92%) occurred on surface streets, with the remaining 8% taking place on freeways. The most common contributing factor to these accidents is failure to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians (48%), followed by speeding (24%), and pedestrians walking outside of crosswalks (14%).
Alcohol was a contributing factor in 16% of accidents, and cell phone use was a factor in 8% of accidents. These statistics highlight the importance of both drivers and pedestrians taking precautions to avoid accidents. Drivers should always yield to pedestrians, and both drivers and pedestrians should avoid distracting behaviors such as cell phone use.
In Dallas in 2021, there were 546 accidents involving motor vehicles and pedestrians (roughly one pedestrian accident every 16 hours) that included:
In 2021 in Texas, there were 5,366 accidents involving motor vehicles and pedestrians (roughly one pedestrian accident every 1.6 hours) that included:
The top 4 most common causes of pedestrian accidents in Dallas in 2021 accounted for almost 80% of all pedestrian accidents, and included:
All of the remaining causes of pedestrian accidents in Dallas accounted for less than 5% of the sum total causes of pedestrian accidents. These less frequent causes of pedestrian accidents included:
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, call a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law for a FREE CONSULTATION. We can answer any questions you have with no obligation to hire us, and help you understand your legal rights. If you do choose to hire our law firm, we can have a pedestrian accident attorney start working on your case today.
While pedestrians in Texas do not always have the right of way, the laws do place most of the responsibility to avoid a collision on drivers. For example, the law states a driver must use due care to avoid a collision with a pedestrian, give warning by sounding the horn, and exercise proper precaution for children or incapacitated pedestrians (Texas Transportation Code § 552.008). Texas pedestrian laws also protect pedestrians injured by a driver’s negligence, such as inattentiveness, reckless behavior, aggressive driving activities, or driving under the influence.
After a motor vehicle strikes a person while walking, many pedestrian accident victims will be unable to fully recover for months or even years. In a worst case scenario, pedestrian accidents can be fatal. In a fatal pedestrian accident, a struck pedestrian’s surviving family members may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Further, if their loved one experienced prolonged suffering prior to death, the surviving family members and the pedestrian’s estate may be able to make a survival claim.
Pedestrian accident victims and their families face a variety of physical and financial challenges after an accident and during their recovery period. Regardless of how your pedestrian accident occurred, your best chance to recover compensation for your damages is by hiring an experienced injury lawyer as soon as possible. Gathering the evidence like witness statements, videos and photos of the accident scene, and your medical records can give a Texas personal injury lawyer a better perspective on your ability to file a claim.
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, call a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law for a FREE CASE REVIEW. Our pedestrian accident attorneys charge NO FEES unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you, and then our fee only comes out of a portion of the settlement.
After a pedestrian accident, it may seem as though your life will never be the same. Finding the right Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer is the first step for helping you to recover financially from the collision, by assisting you with your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. In the wake of an accident, it is not just you as the victim, but it is also often your family members who must adjust to a new way of living.
Thompson Law understands that your ability to return to work in the same job – or at all – may be severely compromised. Your near-term schedule will now be filled with doctor’s appointments and rehabilitation therapy. There may also come a point at which doctors believe you have achieved maximum medical improvement from your injuries, even though you are not fully recovered. This can be a difficult fact to accept.
With all of the stress surrounding life after a pedestrian accident, you need to be able to identify an experienced Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer who understands this situation and is prepared to help you.
Texas law limits how long you have to file a claim after an accident to 2 years in most instances. Talking to a pedestrian crash attorney at Thompson Law will give you a better understanding of what is involved in filing an injury claim, and the crucial steps that you need to take to protect yourself. Our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers will pursue the economic and non-economic damages you are entitled to claim under Texas law.
Economic damages are your financial losses, such as:
Non-economic damages are more difficult to place a monetary value on, and include claims for:
If you or a loved one has been struck and injured by a motor vehicle in a pedestrian accident, call a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law today for a FREE CASE REVIEW. Our accident attorneys can guide you through the legal and insurance claims processes and protect your right to maximum compensation you are owed under Texas law. You need to be focused on your medical condition and recovering, not the stress associated with the accident.
We provide pedestrian accident injury victims with dedicated and tenacious legal representation, ensuring that you get fair value for your claim. Our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers will build a strong case with supporting evidence so that you recover the money that you deserve.
Proving fault in pedestrian accident cases requires your attorney prove that the driver of the vehicle that hit you was negligent. While this might seem a simple task to achieve when a driver hits you, it does require very specific legal elements that can be demonstrated by your attorney. In Texas, proving negligence requires your Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer to demonstrate four legal elements:
Our Dallas pedestrian accident attorneys will be able to review the facts of your case and determine whether we believe there was negligence on the part of the driver. We offer FREE CONSULTATIONS to victims of pedestrian accidents in Dallas and across Texas, so call us today. Our attorneys will fight for every penny of compensation you are owed under Texas law.
When a pedestrian is hit by an automobile, the injuries involved can be significant for obvious reasons. Victims of pedestrian accidents often face significant medical bills, prolonged periods of time off work, and a long recovery period after their accidents.
Some of the common pedestrian accident injuries our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers see include:
If a car collided with you or a loved one while you were walking, call a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law for a FREE CONSULTATION.
If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident in Texas, you may be wondering what kind of compensation you can recover. Generally speaking, you may be able to recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Medical expenses can include both the cost of current medical care as well as the estimated cost of future care. Lost wages can include not only the wages you’ve lost while you’re out of work recovering from your injuries, but also any future earnings that may be affected by your injuries. And pain and suffering damages can help to compensate you for the physical and emotional anguish caused by the accident, any disability you have from the injury, and potentially loss of enjoyment of life.
Of course, every case is different, so it’s important to talk to one of our experienced Dallas pedestrian accident attorneys to get a better idea of what kind of compensation you may be entitled to in your specific case. Call a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law for a FREE CONSULTATION.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, you may be wondering how long you have to file a claim for your injuries. The answer depends on a number of factors, including the severity of your injuries, the circumstances of the accident, and the insurance company’s claims process. In most cases, injured Texans have 2 years from the date of accident to file a personal injury claim, or 2 years from the date of death in the event of a fatal pedestrian accident.
In general, it is best to contact one of our experienced pedestrian accident attorneys as soon as possible after the accident. Our attorneys can review your case and help you understand your legal options. In some cases, you may only have a limited time to file a claim (e.g., if the claim is against a government vehicle you would only have 6 months to file) so it is important to act quickly. If you wait too long, you may miss the deadline and be unable to recover damages for your injuries.
If a car collided with you or a loved one while you were walking, call a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law to learn more about your legal rights and options.
The pedestrian accident attorneys at Thompson Law have the experience needed and will fight to get you the compensation to which you and your family are entitled. Call Thompson Law today for a FREE CONSULTATION with one of our Dallas pedestrian accident lawyers.
If you need a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer, give us a call today and let us handle the legal aspects of your case and negotiate with the insurance companies for you. If you do not need an accident lawyer today, save our contact information in your phone so you are not having to search for “pedestrian accident lawyers near me” when you most need an injury attorney.
The statute of limitations in Texas is 2 years in most injury accidents. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, call us today or submit a form for a NO COST, NO-OBLIGATION CONSULTATION with a Dallas pedestrian accident lawyer at Thompson Law. Take action to protect your right to a full value monetary recovery. The sooner you know your options, the faster you’ll be on the path to recovery.
If you are injured in any type of accident, your first priority should be to seek immediate medical attention, even if you are not certain that you are injured. Seeking immediate medical treatment does two things: 1) it ensures injuries you sustained are diagnosed and treated; and, 2) it helps eliminate any doubt by the insurance company that your injuries were caused by the accident.
Often, the shock and adrenaline of an accident can mask symptoms of injuries, so making the mistake of skipping a medical examination can have profound consequences. By seeking prompt medical treatment, you protect both your health and your ability to seek compensation for your injuries with the help of your attorney.
If you were in a motor vehicle accident we have also detailed here what to do after a car accident.
A skilled personal injury lawyer is necessary to get full and fair compensation for injuries you sustained in an accident. Most defendants, whether individual drivers or commercial vehicle operators, are covered by liability insurance. Those insurance companies are not obligated to protect or take care of you. Insurance companies exist to protect the defendant (their customer) who caused the wreck.
A personal injury attorney can help you obtain compensation for every category of damages to which you are legally entitled. These damages can include things like: medical bills, lost wages, property damage, pain & suffering, punitive damages, loss of limb, diminished mental function, physical impairment, scarring or disfigurement, emotional or mental trauma, and loss of consortium (in wrongful death claims). Further, you may be entitled to future medical bills, future lost income, future pain and suffering, and other damages in severe injury cases.
The largest factor affecting your claim’s value is the severity or magnitude of your injuries. More severe injuries typically require more medical treatment. So it is essential to have all your injuries documented properly by seeking immediate treatment with doctors or hospitals, and continuing under the care and direction of your doctors as long as necessary to heal. Without prompt and consistent medical treatment and documentation, an injury claim becomes very difficult to pursue, let alone win.
Of course, other factors an also have an impact, and each and every case is different. Were you injured in a commercial vehicle wreck or truck wreck that totaled your car, or was it a fender bender that did very little damage? Was the other driver intoxicated or drunk, or speeding? A multitude of factors may play into your claim’s overall likely value. An experienced personal injury lawyer will be able to visit with you and talk to you more specifically about factors which may affect your particular claim.
In Texas, you usually have two (2) years from the date of incident to file a personal injury claim before it is barred by the statute of limitations. There are exceptions to this 2-year time limit in Texas, for minors and others. Further, other states have different time limits, and the limit that applies is typically for the state in which the accident occurred.
The safest course of action for someone injured in a car wreck, truck wreck, slip and fall, or any other type of accident is to consult with a personal injury attorney. This will help ensure that you do not miss the applicable limitations period. Moreover, it will ensure the right investigations are conducted, and the proper steps are taken to preserve the evidence, photos, witness statements, and records needed to successfully pursue your claim.
If you are injured in a hit-and-run wreck (and are unable to locate the driver) or are hurt in a collision where the other driver does not have insurance, you are not necessarily out of options in terms of financial recovery. You may still be able to recover for your personal injuries if your own policy has Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage or Personal Injury Protection (PIP). It’s a good idea to contact your insurance company to confirm what types of coverage you have on your policy before an accident, but if you have been hit be sure to ask these questions before finalizing your claim request. Even if you do not have UM or PIP, the attorneys and investigators at Thompson Law can work to track down the other driver in a hit-and-run accident. To do this, we rely on witnesses who may have captured a photo of the car or license plate and/or available surveillance camera footage that might have captured the wreck.
Typical damages you can recover in a personal injury claim include: medical bills, lost wages, property damage, pain and suffering, and in some cases even punitive damages. In severe injury cases, other damages may be recoverable, such as: future medical bills, future lost income, future pain and suffering, loss of body member or mental function, physical impairment, disfigurement, emotional or mental trauma, and loss of consortium (in wrongful death claims).
Knowing how comparative negligence works is vital if you live in a state that uses it. In simple terms, comparative negligence implies both drivers can share fault for an accident, but one driver can be more at fault than the other. For example, you are texting while driving when another driver runs a stop sign and hits your car.
A jury finds that the driver who ran the stop sign is 80 percent at fault, but they believe you would have had a better chance of avoiding the accident if you were not texting at the time. They find you 20 percent at fault. You can only collect enough compensation to cover the other driver’s fault. In this case, you would get $8,000 if the jury thinks your case is worth $10,000.
Having the police respond to the accident scene is of paramount importance. Make sure that YOU call them and insist that they come and investigate the accident. When the police arrive, they will separate the drivers and witnesses from one another and take statements from everyone involved. Be cooperative, detailed, and firm in describing the accident. The investigating officer will usually determine fault based upon these statements, and it is essential that your version of the events is heard and believed. If you think that you may be injured, make that clear to the officer. If an ambulance or other medical professionals arrive on scene, get checked out. If not, make plans to visit an emergency room or doctor soon after you leave the scene. Before you do leave for this care, the officer will provide you with a report number and their contact information. Make sure this information is safely saved, as it will be very important in any auto accident injury claim you may have.
Call an attorney. Your first instinct might be to call your insurance company, but it’s best to seek legal council first so you don’t accidentally admit guilt or take responsibility for the accident. In many cases your attorney will call the insurance company for you to prevent that from happening.
Absolutely not. It’s important to leave the investigation to the professionals. They know exactly how to work a case to determine all of the facts and details.
Some of the most devastating injuries caused by careless driving happen to pedestrians. As a pedestrian, you have the same right to be free from injury and harm caused by the irresponsibility, error, or negligence of others as any motorist on the road. In is important to obtain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible if you are injured as a pedestrian. The right attorney will see that you receive the medical care you need, guide your damage claim process, and receive full compensation for your injuries.
Typically, yes. If a family member is seriously injured or killed in an accident, or if the injured party is a minor child, then it may be appropriate under the law for a parent, spouse, relative, or legal guardian to file a claim or lawsuit on behalf of the injured or deceased party. These types of claims are complex, and usually depend on the type of relationship involved, as well as the individual facts and circumstances of the injury. Calling the experienced personal injury attorneys at Thompson Law is step one to explore filing a legal claim on behalf of your loved one.
Even if you are partially to blame for a car accident, you may be able to recover some of your damages from the other party. Under Texas’s proportionate responsibility system (also known as comparative negligence), unless you as the claimant/plaintiff are determined more than 51% at fault, you may recover legal damages that are reduced by the percentage you are determined at fault. For example, if you are determined to be 30% at fault, you can recover 70% of your damages from the other responsible party (you can’t recover the other 30% because that was the amount of liability that was determined to lie with you). The personal injury attorneys at Thompson Law can help you navigate this proportionate responsibility system – so reach out online or call anytime for a free consultation.
If you or a family member are injured in an automobile accident, you cannot afford NOT to hire the very best attorney available. Thompson Law works on a contingency fee basis. What this means is that you only pay legal fees IF we win for you and AFTER your case is settled. We understand that legal fees upfront are simply too much to deal with after a serious accident where you are dealing with property damage repairs, medical bills, missed work and lost wages. The fact that you owe $0 upfront is an added bonus when you hire great legal representation at Thompson Law.
If you were injured as the result of someone else’s negligence, there is a good chance we can help you out. We will look at the facts of your accident, whether a car wreck, truck wreck, motorcycle accident, or on-the-job-injury and examine whatever reports or records are available. If we believe that you were injured and it was someone else’s fault, it is likely to be a case we can take. The more information and documentation you can give us about your accident and your injuries, the quicker we can evaluate your case and let you know. Give us a call or reach out online anytime!
The best personal injury attorney has three major characteristics: Excellent customer service, cutting edge technology, and a willingness to take cases and win at trial. Ask your potential attorney about the client experience they offer, what kind of technology they use to make your life easier, and when was the last time they took a case to jury trial. Asking these types of questions will give you guidance on what kind of experience you can expect as a client and what kind of results you can expect at the end of your case.
Thompson Law has high ratings from clients for its emphasis on customer service, and its attorneys have achieved significant results on small, large, and complex cases alike. No matter if you have been involved in a minor car wreck or are dealing with catastrophic injuries from a rarer and more devastating event like a terrible workplace accident, dog bite, or an 18 wheeler wreck, Thompson Law can assist you.
Yes! Thompson Law is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to provide free consultations. If you have been injured in a truck wreck or car accident, hurt in a slip and fall incident, or otherwise injured from the negligence of another person or party, give us a call any time at 1-800-LION-LAW. We can speak to you over the phone, chat online through our website or social media outlets, or arrange an in-person meeting at your convenience. Our team is ready to help!
Thompson Law is available 24/7 to provide free consultations and to sign up new clients. We can sign you up over the phone or we can send one of our experienced licensed investigators to meet you at the hospital or at your home if you prefer. Whether you live in Arlington, Ft. Worth, El Paso, McAllen, or even outside of the state of Texas, we are always here to assist you and provide the resources you need at a difficult time. We do the hard work for you so that you can focus on healing from your injuries.
Under Texas law, “bicycles are entitled to all rights of the road that apply to a motor vehicle, including access.” Unfortunately, drivers often don’t respect the rights of cyclists, and bike accidents are increasingly common, causing severe injuries to the cyclist.
First, stay at the scene. As soon as it is safe, assess the situation and call 9-1-1 to report the incident.
Second, when help arrives, receive emergency medical attention. Get “checked out” even if you think you are okay—the trauma and shock of the collision can cause your body to block out pain and injury, and internal injuries often produce non-specific symptoms. Follow the medical advice of the emergency response team.
Third, with assistance from the police, exchange and obtain information, such as insurance information as well as the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses, passengers, and drivers. DO NOT discuss the facts and circumstances of the bike accident with anyone other than the investigating officer.
Fourth, document the scene. Make notes on paper or using your cell phone about the time of day; weather conditions; road or traffic conditions; lighting; location of the vehicles and involved parties; and any relevant road signs, traffic control devices (lights, stop signs, yield signs) etc. Also, make sure to get photographs of your bike, the driver’s car, and the scene.
Last, a lawyer to discuss your rights. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Thompson Law will help you investigate all applicable insurance coverages and fight to get the compensation to which you are entitled.
Let’s be honest: this isn’t a legal show on TV and your case will not settle in the next hour – or even tomorrow. The true answer is: it depends. We find that most cases settle within 7-10 months from date of incident; but the timeframe in your case could be shorter or longer depending on: the facts and circumstances of the accident; the length of time it takes you to complete medical treatment; and the character of the insurance company, or companies, involved in your case. In the event that your case cannot settle pre-litigation and it becomes necessary to file a lawsuit, the litigation process alone can take 1 to 2 years due to the court system and legal process necessary to prepare for trial. But because so much of the timeline depends on the facts and circumstances of your unique case, call Thompson Law today to discuss the personal injury claims process.
Thompson Law receives an attorney fee and you pay no legal fees as our client unless we pay you. Thompson Law has 350 years of combined experience in legal representation and has won over $1.8 billion dollars in cash settlements for our clients. We master the art of managing client cases with empathy, compassion, respect and, of course, prodigious skill. Contact us today for a free, risk-free consultation to discuss your accident and your options.
State law limits the time you have to file a claim after an auto accident. If you have been injured in an accident, call now to get the help you need.