It is possible to find a Lyft accident attorney with just a quick online search of personal injury attorneys in your area, however finding a great, professional Lyft accident attorney may prove more difficult. We have put together our guide to finding the best rideshare attorney for you, and some critical information to consider after a rideshare accident when you are considering hiring an expert.
Checklist to Find a Professional Lyft Accident Attorney
Finding and hiring the right attorney can make all the difference in the outcome of your case. Knowing what to look for and what distinguishes the great attorneys from the good attorneys, however, can feel like a challenge. Our goal at Thompson Law is to provide the absolute best-case outcome for each client, but also to deliver a 5-star client experience throughout the entire process. That client service starts right here, perhaps even before you’ve hired us. We want you to be armed with the ultimate checklist to select the best possible attorney for you. Here’s what to look for:
- Look for Proof of Results – After a Lyft accident, you don’t want to hire just any attorney who may not have the track record to prove their skill. Select an attorney who has a public record of past success. For example, our firm posts our case verdicts right on our home page and has won over $1.8 billion for our clients. In 2019, we had top 50 settlements in Texas on the TopVerdicts ranked list.
- Focus on Experience – Select a lawyer with trial experience as well as negotiations and settlement experience. It’s not always clear at the beginning of a claim process how contentious things may become. You want to choose an advocate who is prepared to take your case as far as necessary. For Lyft or Uber accidents, also check that an attorney has dedicated part of their legal practice to those cases. You can often tell by the services listed on their website, like ours here. You will also want to consider whether an attorney is well respected by his or her peers. For example, Ryan Thompson is a lifetime member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, and has been selected as one of the Top 100 National Trial Lawyers.
- Ask About Resources – Check that your accident lawyer has the ability to provide all the resources needed for a strong case. Field investigators, accident reconstruction experts, and traffic safety engineers are all industry experts that may be called upon. The firm you choose needs to have experts such as these to do research and testify on your behalf. There are legal firms of varying sizes that offer the right resources. Don’t be afraid to ask questions during your free consultation with our firm. You deserve to ask about our preparedness to handle your case!
- Prioritize Excellent Service – Ask around in your community and see what trusted family and friends have to say about their experience with accident attorneys. Checking online reviews can also be a great help. Rideshare accident cases can take time to work through for the best outcomes, and you want to be comfortable with the experts you hire to handle that process. After a stressful and painful accident, choose a law firm that puts your needs first.
Why Do I Need a Lyft Accident Attorney?
When huge commercial vehicle operations like Lyft and Uber begin to encounter recurring and serious problems, like accidents by the fault of their drivers, they come up with solutions to protect their profits. They also have the advantage of huge sums of money to afford talented legal representation and sophisticated insurance arrangements. There are a few reasons to seriously consider hiring legal help in the face of an insurance claim for a Lyft accident.
Reason 1 – There Can Be Much More Money at Stake
There are enormous sums of money in the insurance coverage that Lyft blankets over drivers in addition to each driver’s own insurance policy. Lyft provides up to $1 million in liability coverage for accidents. Their contingent comprehensive coverage is a $2,500 deductible, as opposed to $1,000 for Uber. They host a 24/7 customer service line related to handling accidents and emergencies. Higher dollar figures make for tougher negotiations to win your deserved payout.
Additional coverage sounds like a benefit in the case of an accident, and it’s true that these funds can truly make a dramatic difference. However, there are also unique complications that come from the structure of insurance coverage for Lyft vehicles. Depending on the “period” of service that you were in at the time of the collision, coverage may be different.
Reason 2 – The Insurance Coverage Arrangements Are More Complicated
- Period 0 offers ZERO coverage at the time the driver is not logged into their Uber or Lyft App.
- Period 1 is when they are logged in but not serving a particular customer or ride request. Limited corporate insurance kicks in at this point.
- Period 2 is when the driver is en route to an ordered destination.
- Period 3 is when a customer is in the car.
In these cases, the $1 million coverage is in effect, though there are differences between periods 2 and 3 where property damage, UM, or UIM are concerned. Additionally, Uber and Lyft’s insurance policies are “contingent” meaning that they will only apply if you have made a claim on the driver’s policy first. Clearly there is room for confusion and disagreement in the midst of all these thresholds and coverage restrictions!
Reason 3 – The Settlement Agreements Are More Demanding
Also, companies like Lyft and Uber have developed complex settlement agreements that are often much more involved than in the case of a crash between two individuals and no commercial parties. One of these contract strategies they have developed and applied to their settlement agreements is confidentiality clauses. Such agreements cause concern because they can be extremely rigid, tightly enforced, and risk nullifying the settlement altogether if breached.
The Most Important Reason to Hire a Lyft Accident Attorney
The absolute most important reason to hire a Lyft Accident Attorney is that Lyft accidents can cause extremely serious injuries. Nothing is more important than your health and safety. Sadly, we see many clients who have suffered painful, debilitating injuries as a result of rideshare accidents. Common injuries include neck injuries like whiplash, back injuries and spine injuries, traumatic brain injuries, and other serious impact injuries. You should not be faced with chronic pain or lasting injury after one decision to ride in the care of an Uber or Lyft driver.
Hiring a Lyft accident lawyer to stand by your side is extremely advantageous. It’s simply not fair to go up against a large corporation and its fleet of resources on your own. Especially when the accident injuries are severe, and there are large amounts of money on the table, and the rideshare corporate lawyers are doing all they can to pay you the least and impose a severe agreement contract.
You Found Your Lyft Accident Attorney with Thompson Law
It is always up to you to decide if representation by a Lyft accident attorney is right for you, just as after any car accident. Based on the information we know about complications to liability and insurance in rideshare accidents, these events are a particularly critical time to make the best choice for you as you prepare to face large corporate insurance interests. We hope this guide for the reasons you may want legal assistance has been helpful, and if hiring a Lyft accident lawyer is your decision, that the checklist helps you feel confident in the firm you choose.
If you have been hurt in an accident by an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare, delivery, or commercial driver in Dallas, please know that you can get help from Thompson Law anytime you need. Our legal experts are standing by 24/7/365 to take your call and provide a free consultation tailored to your specific experience. Alignment with our clients is so important to us that we work on a contingency fee-only, meaning we don’t receive a single penny unless we win your case. Thompson Law is here for you.
If you liked this article, you may also like:
What Kind of Lawyer Do I Hire Against a Car Insurance Company
Do I Have to Sign a Confidentiality Clause with my Lyft Settlement?
Dealing with Rideshare (Uber & Lyft) Car Accidents and Progressive Insurance in Dallas-Fort Worth
The State of Texas has a statute of limitations of two (2) years for personal injury cases, so if you have experienced any Lyft accident, commercial vehicle accident, or any auto accident, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. The sooner you know your options, the sooner you are on a smooth path to recovery and your deserved compensation. If you’ve been hesitating to reach out, don’t delay any further. Call Thompson Law right away for assistance with your injury and claim.